Sunday 15 June 2014

A Tragic End

I am deeply saddened to inform you of the tragic demise of my Colette Beignet Skirt. We have had a love hate relationship since construction, however we were on good terms just before the accident. Here's some memories to cling onto:


In her infancy, soon after construction.

Performing well during Me Made May 14

After her makeover...a new lease of life
And then tragedy struck...and it's all my fault. I decided to wash my skirt in the washing machine. I used cold water and special wool wash detergent but sadly this is the result:

Skirt after washing
I am shocked at how much this skirt has shrunk. You can see how far the lining is hanging below the hem of the skirt.

I prewashed this fabric (unknown fibre content) before construction to avoid a shrinkage problem. When I washed it the first time after construction it shrunk, which I blogged about in my original post, and I fixed the problem by turning up the hem lining again. I didn't think it would continue to shrink with each wash, especially not at this alarming rate.

Close up of the accident.
I am particularly upset by this tragic event because I have only recently invested quite a bit of time and effort into this skirt, replacing all the buttons. I think I will salvage the buttons and dispose of the remains in the rubbish bin. At least I have some photos to keep the memories alive.

Has anyone else had a shrinking tragedy?


Happy Sewing

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry!!! It was a beautiful skirt, it's short life was appreciated by many via MMM 2014. Cut off those buttons and let her RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and good advice Kelly.

      Delete
  2. Oh No ;( RIP beloved Beignet. My KoiMoss is not holding up well to her frequent wearing & washing - I'm in 2 minds as to recreating in the same fabric, or just letting her go (well, ok, relegating to 'home only')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember your KoiMoss well. Your post was very helpful around the time I was making my first Moss Mini. My commiserations. Sometimes it can be hard letting go to a favourite.

      Delete
  3. What a shame - it was a lovely skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay. I guess I have learned a valuable lesson...don't sew with fabric with unknown fibre content, as it can lead to heartache.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry. Of course it had to happen after you sewed on new buttons:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. That's "Murphy's Law" isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Oh noooo!!!! It was such a beautiful skirt. I've made the Beignet once so I know what you mean about love/hate relationship. I can't believe it shrunk that much after prewashing it already. I've not had a shrinking tragedy but I had a fading tragedy. I made the Grainline Archer with a blue flannel. I prewashed it and it looked fine. Made the shirt, wore it once, washed it and it faded and bled so bad it looked like an old rag. I was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. I do remember your Archer...such a tragedy after all your hard work.

      Delete
  6. This is heartbreaking and to think it has shrunken this much after during its 3rd wash is incredible. Rescue the buttons and say a fond farewell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is heartbreaking Sharon. I wonder if I keep washing it, it might disappear altogether at the rate it is shrinking.

      Delete
  7. Wow, the amount of shrinkage is incredible! And just after you went and replaced all those buttons! Do you think you'll make a replacement Beignet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never experienced shrinkage like this before. I'm very sad especially after I had just changed the buttons. I have no plans to make another at this stage...too many other things on my sewing list at the moment.

      Delete
  8. What a disaster! I am empathising as hard as I can. That is plain nasty of the fabric to continue shrinking. Poly wicking technical stuff is the culprit from my wardrobe, at least that was quick to sew though, and the shrinkage was in no way comparable to this poor skirt. I thought it looked terrific on you in both button variations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment. I do appreciate your empathy. Very nasty fabric indeed.

      Delete
  9. What if you soak it again and stretch it back into shape? Might that work?
    What a shame; the skirt was so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Ruth, it has gone too far, and it seems to shrink at every wash at an increasingly alarming rate. I think it's time to let go.

      Delete