Sunday 5 June 2016

Me Made May 16, Last Days and My Thoughts...

Me Made May 16 has been and gone for another year. This has been my third year participating and I have enjoyed it this time just as much as I have in the previous two years. Here is a quick recap on the final days...

Day Twenty Nine: Sunday


Another day at home pottering and a little sewing. Wearing a black and white striped ponte dress based on Tilly and the Buttons Coco dress, and a Style Arc Nina cardigan in red jersey.

Day Thirty: Monday


Cooking dinner after work wearing a Style Arc Esme Top in pink ponte over a Deer and Doe Plantain Tee in merino knit and Style Arc Barb Pants in denim stretch bengaline.

Day Thirty One: Tuesday


We are finally at the end of May. Wearing a favourite winter dress from last year based on the Style Arc Kristen Dress with a Sewaholic Renfrew Cowl neckline. The fabric is left over from other projects...cream and navy ponte and mosaic print scuba knit. I also wore a Deer and Doe Plantain Tee in merino for warmth underneath.

My challenge was to wear at least two me made garments per day, and to try some new combinations. I just did a quick tally and I wore a total of 66 garments over 31 days (average 2.129 garments per day), with some garments repeated but never the same combination repeated. There were four days when I only wore one me made garment, but these were dresses, and the days when I wore three me made garments kept my average up over the two garments per day that I set as my challenge.

I surprised myself with how many me made garments I actually have. At the start of May I didn't think I would be able to go the whole month without repeating an outfit. Although I did wear some garments more than once, I never repeated the same combination of garments. It was quite challenging to come up with new combinations but I feel I am getting more out of my me made wardrobe now.

I have identified a few holes in my wardrobe that need filling...some more warm cardigans and a warm coat would be handy. Also, some warm casual tops for the weekend are needed. I have ordered some fabric and have a few patterns picked out so there will be plenty of sewing coming up.

On reflection, I feel as though I have worked out my style and what works for my body shape and colouring. I love to sew with knits as they are comfortable and easy care and suit my lifestyle perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who participated this year and to Zoe for organising the whole event. Also a big thank you to all who left comments on my instagram posts as well as my weekly blog posts. They are all so encouraging and very much appreciated.

Happy Sewing

8 comments:

  1. 66 Garments over 31 days? You are awesome, Jean ☺ I enjoyed your outfits during MMMay'16 and look forward to seeing the next year MMM. I love your pink ponte top and the last dress is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Hana. I am so glad that you enjoyed my me made outfits. It's been so much fun to participate this year.

      Delete
  2. Hats off to you for your Me Made May efforts! You've sewn a versatile wardrobe that seems to really work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paola. I am quite happy with my me made wardrobe at the moment, although I have quite a few more garments that I want to make.

      Delete
  3. A splendid finale to MeMadeMay. I love that last dress combination. It looks like a long jacket over a dress and the cream cowl sets it all off. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy. The best thing about that last dress is that it is made entirely from leftover fabrics.

      Delete
  4. You had such a great month, so many lovely pieces. Isn't amazing how the whole process actually gives you a chance to truly look at your wardrobe? It's been a few years since I participated, but I think that it's about time to give it another try and see what I learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. Me Made May is certainly a valuable tool for assessing your wardrobe. I would love to see you participate next year.

      Delete