During my Christmas holidays I managed to get a little sewing done.
|Second attempt at Scout Tee|
I have been keen to try Grainline Studio's Scout Tee after my last attempt was less than pleasing. I had made a size 12 and graded down to a size 8 at the hip based on my measurements and the Grainline size chart, but it turned out very roomy and boxy. It is OK tucked in but looks awful left out.
|First attempt at Scout Tee|
For my second attempt, I started with size 10. I added a lot of shaping to the sides. I kept the side measurements the same at the base of the armhole and at the hem. I curved the side seams in by 3cm at my narrowest point (near the lengthen/shorten line), on each side seam (both front and back pattern pieces), using my french curve ruler to get a nice smooth curve.
|Size 10 with side shaping.|
I also lengthened the Scout by 2cm. I think I will lengthen it even more for the next one. I must have a long torso.
It hangs a bit weird at the front hemline. I'm hoping that lengthening it further will fix this issue. I love the fit at the neck and shoulders. It's just amazing that it fits so well in a woven fabric with no darts. I picked up this fabric on sale at Spotlight quite a while ago. It is very light and drapes well, but creases terribly. Not sure of the composition, but I suspect it is a rayon. I love the bright cheerful print.
|Neckline finished with self bias binding.|
I even made my own bias binding using my Clover bias tape maker. I think it turned out ok, considering this is a new technique for me.
I have a few tropical print rayons sitting in my stash just waiting to be turned into Scout tees, now that I have worked out the fit, (or maybe Tiny Pocket Tanks).