Tuesday, 6 February 2018

A Polka Dot Grainline Studio Moss Skirt

Grainline Studio Moss Skirt
This is my second time making the Grainline Studio Moss Skirt, and it has been a long time in the making. For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you might remember me posting this half made skirt as my "ufo" in "Sewvember 2016" and it had been hanging around my sewing room for a couple of years before that. I was finally prompted to finish it in November 2016 only to discover that it was too small (not that I was too big, of course) and so it was put in the naughty corner again for another 12 months. I came across it again, last November and decided to try it on as I had lost a few kilos. To my delight, it fitted. All I had to do was sew on the hook and bar and it was finished.


As the making of this skirt has been stretched out over such a long period, all the details have escaped me. You can find my blog post on my first version here if you are interested. I do remember that I sized down for this one and cut a size 10.


The fabric is a cotton canvas from Spotlight, bought several years ago. I'm a little disappointed at how much it wrinkled in the photos. These were taken after a few hours of wear.



Despite being a fun little skirt, I have not worn it very much. I don't think it's the most flattering style on my figure, so I don't feel comfortable wearing it. I might feel different if I wore a loose untucked top (but then all the details of the skirt would be hidden). I probably will not make this pattern again, but I am glad to have finally finished this one.


Happy Sewing

Jean

Sunday, 28 January 2018

Thread Theory Designs: Fairfield Button-Up

My two youngest offspring.

My youngest son returned to Medical School yesterday, to begin his second year of study. He will be based at Shepparton Hospital in Victoria, this year, and will be required to wear doctor appropriate clothing, five days a week. I have been promising to sew him a shirt for ages, so I finally thought I had better make good on that promise, especially now that he has a genuine need for decent button-up shirts.

Thread Theory Designs Fairfield Button-Up

The pattern I used was the Thread Theory Design Fairfield Button-Up shirt. I ordered the printed pattern through Pattern Review and was amazed at how quickly it was delivered to me in regional NSW Australia. It comes packaged in a lovely cardboard sleeve. Inside is the multi sized pattern printed on tissue paper. There are pattern pieces for average figures, as well as fuller figures, and also a comprehensive and well illustrated instruction booklet. I also found the online Sew-a-long very helpful.

Thread Theory Design Fairfield Button-Up
I cut a size small, grading down to an extra small for the waist and hips, based on my son's measurements. I also cut a medium length in the body and the arms. My son wanted a fairly slim fitting shirt and that is certainly what he got.


Luckily I used a super stretch cotton poplin from The Remnant Warehouse which has quite a bit of stretch, as the shirt is a little too narrow across the shoulders. As the fabric stretches, it is wearable, but I will size up for the next one. If I had made this in a non stretch fabric, it would have been too uncomfortable to wear.


I didn't make any design changes to the shirt and sewed it up exactly as instructed. The front button band is not a separate piece, which reduces bulk and I really like how it turned out. Not sure if I love the pocket design, but it turned out ok. Apparently Thread Theory Designs offer some alternative pocket designs that can be downloaded for free. I will have to look into this for the next one.


The pattern includes all the usual features of a typical men's shirt including tower plackets. I have had terrible trouble in the past with fusible interfacings that bubble, so I decided to use a sew in interfacing for this shirt, and had much better results. I interfaced the sleeve plackets too as I was concerned that the stretch fabric might be too easily distorted when sewing these. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I skipped adding the extra button half way along the placket, as this shirt will most probably be worn with the sleeves rolled up most of the time.


Sleeve tabs are also included in the pattern. This is a handy feature as I just said: the sleeves will be rolled up most of the time. The sleeve length was a little short, despite cutting the medium length, so I will lengthen the sleeves a couple of centimetres for the next one.


The pattern was unusual in that the pattern pieces were cut already graded for the flatfelled seams. This took a bit for me to get my head around, as I am used to trimming the seam after sewing to prepare for the flat felling. Once I worked out how to line up the pattern pieces this method worked quite well.


This shot shows the slim fit of the shirt. I really liked this pattern and will be sure to use it again. These photos were taken in a rush as he was about to leave for the seven hour drive. I didn't have time to wash out all the pink pencil marks on the shirt so I hope he copes ok with that. I gave him a quick ironing lesson the other night, as he will have quite a bit of ironing to do this year. Nice to know that although he is much smarter than me, I can still teach him something.


Happy sewing

Jean