Monday 20 October 2014

Tilly's Coco at the Beach

I have made another Tilly and the Buttons Coco Dress.


For this one I made a slight alteration to the lower half. I slimmed down the side seams below the waistline using the shape of the Style Arc Kristen Dress. Also, I used the SA Kristen Dress pockets (they are bigger than the Coco pockets). 


As I did for my first Coco, I cut a straight size 5 based on my bust measurement. I did add a little extra length to make it more age appropriate.


The fabric I used for this Coco was a great quality navy and white striped ponte. It was quite hefty and provided a lot more structure than the fabric I used for my first Coco. I purchased this fabric from Spotlight at Nowra, NSW back in July**. 

Funnel Neck
I made the funnel neckline again. I love this feature. I decided to run the stripes vertically to provide interest. I wanted to add some gold buttons with a nautical theme but couldn't find anything like that locally. I ended up choosing these red heart shaped buttons which add a splash of colour. I may change them if I find something more suitable.

Pockets and cuffs
I cut the pockets and cuffs with the stripes running vertically too. I think this helped break up the horizontal stripes and looked better. The ponte had limited stretch so this was not a problem.


I love this Coco and I have worn it numerous times already. I just throw it in the washing machine, hang it on a coat hanger on the clothesline to dry, and then straight back in the wardrobe (no ironing required). This ponte is great quality too and has not pilled at all.

All photos were taken down at Denham's Beach (South Coast of NSW) by my son, who was home on a short break from Uni over the weekend. (I wanted to take these photos on the beach but I was dreading taking the tripod and remote to such a public area. I'm a little self concious and like the privacy of my own yard.) Jesse was very obliging, even posing for a photo himself.



**We called in to Spotlight at Nowra NSW on our way to Sydney for my "Surprise 50th Birthday Party"  (of which I was oblivious of at the time). My partner (now husband) was being very kind and allowed me to spend a good hour and a half fabric shopping, with very little complaining. This was a real treat for me as I rarely get to shop in real fabric shops (most of my fabric shopping is done online). I managed to spend quite a bit of cash and the cashier declared that I had saved almost $100 on my purchases, because I had a VIP card. I was almost afraid to ask how much I owed. Anyway, I now have some lovely fabrics and lots of plans.

18 comments:

  1. You look great in this dress and I like the splashes of red. This pattern and fabric would look great as a jumper too. Your son obviously gets his good looks from you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. I already have plans to make the top. A lot of people say my son looks a lot like me. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! I'll catch up in about six months;) Your new dress is what I like -- attractive and comfortable at the same time. And I'm impressed with your photographer's willingness and skills -- he did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly can't beat "attractive and comfortable" Angela. My son was quite willing, but I didn't really give him an option. I am pleased with the results. Thanks for the birthday wishes too.

      Delete
  3. Great look --- length looks fantastic for women our age (I too am 50) --- I've just added the Coco to my pattern wish list! Love the modern but retro vibe....definitely will make the funnel neck version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari. I did increase the length so check that before you cut your fabric. I love the retro vibe too.

      Delete
  4. I love the red heart buttons on this - a fun touch.
    Spotlight Nowra is my local, so if you ever get the chance to drop in again, let me know. I'm more than happy to spend however long is necessary there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola. I was actually thinking while I was shopping that day, that it would be nice to run into you.

      Delete
  5. Love your newest Coco. The splashes of red are perfect. What a cutie photographer. Happy Birthday Jean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. The red buttons did work out well and I will be sure to tell my photographer what a cutie he is. Thanks also for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  6. You look great in this dress! The red heart buttons are really cute :) Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carolyn. I do like the shape of this dress and it seems to suit my middle aged figure quite well. Thank you for the birthday wishes too.

      Delete
  7. A gorgeous version of the Coco. I think your modifications have greatly enhanced the style, and those buttons - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Glad you like the buttons and thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  8. I love this dress, and I like the how the pattern on the funnel & cuffs runs differently to that of the dress...nice! The buttons are cute and I like the bigger pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words Melanie. The contrasting stripe direction is a nice look.

      Delete
  9. Love this dress and the way you have used the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I was really happy with the contrasting stripes too.

      Delete