The fabric is a lovely tropical print spun rayon purchased from Spotlight. It has a lot of drape and was ideal for this loose summery top. I didn't add the pocket as I thought there was enough going on with this busy print.
I wanted a close fit through the neckline, shoulders and armholes, so I cut a size 8 (should be a size 12 according to my bust measurement) and did some adjustments. Using Sarah Veblen's The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting I did a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) of 2.5cm. I also lengthened the top by 6cm as I wanted it to cover my behind and be a little more tunic like. I stay stitched the neckline and armholes as soon as possible to avoid stretching these areas. After the front and back were joined, at the shoulders and side seams I had a quick try on to check the fit. The underarms felt a little tight so I scooped out approximately 1 cm from the lower half of each arm hole.
I am quite pleased with the fit I achieved with my adjustments. I will try a few more tweaks for the next one.
As you can see in the photo above, the bust dart is too high. For the next one I will try lowering it by a couple of cm. I would also like to try a shorter version with some side seam shaping so it doesn't hang so loosely.
I used purchased lime green bias binding to bind the neckline and armholes. I didn't have enough fabric left over to make the binding. Although it was a bit stiff it did work out OK.
I'm really happy with the fit in the back as well. No gaping and great backside cover. I also like the slightly shaped hemline.
Perfect outfit for date night...dining al fresco at a lovely little restaurant by the river on a very warm summer evening.