Sunday 5 April 2015

Style Arc Laura Easter Dress

Style Arc Laura Dress
Finally I have got to make the Style Arc Laura Dress. This pattern has been around for quite a while and there are lots of versions out there on the inter webs for inspiration.

Style Arc Laura Dress

Style Arc recommend any knit fabric with plenty of stretch. I decided that I knew best and used a very bright floral printed scuba knit for the main part of the dress and an off white ponte for the yoke and sleeves. Both of these fabrics were purchased from Spotlight. I cut a straight size 12 (my usual size in Style Arc patterns).


Unfortunately, I ignored the "plenty of stretch" in Style Arc's fabric recommendation. You may have noticed that my dress has short sleeves. This was a necessary modification mid sew, due to the lack of stretch in my chosen fabric. Originally I did cut the long sleeves, but they were so uncomfortably tight in the forearms, that they made the dress unwearable. 


There is a centre back seam with some shaping for a nice fit. I finished off all the hems with a twin needle for a neat finish. I used a binding on the neckline as instructed, but my fabric was too bulky to fold over and stitch in the ditch. I ended up turning the binding completely to the inside and securing with a twin needle. This did give a nice neat finish.


The front doesn't drape as nicely as it should, if it had been made in a knit with more stretch (and drape) as recommended, I'm sure it would look less maternity. Maybe I could add a couple of darts in the front to reduce the volume? I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any bright ideas.


Hope you are all having a Happy Easter break, and getting to spend some time in your sewing rooms.

Happy Sewing

34 comments:

  1. Lovely! You'll take spring into winter with you. Looks great and lo e the fabric. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyndle. I probably wont get much wear out of this dress now, but it will be perfect for the arrival of Spring.

      Delete
  2. I've had my eye on this dress for a while. I do like your version, such pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. It is a cute pattern and very easy to sew. I would definitely recommend it.

      Delete
  3. Lovely version. Shame about the sleeves but it looks great as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I'm glad I could save it by cutting off the sleeves.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful easter dress! I love the bright vibrant florals and how the yoke/sleeves keep it grounded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it needed something plain to tone down the bright floral print. Thanks for your lovely comment Carrie.

      Delete
  5. Keep intending to buy this pattern. Love that floral you used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should buy this pattern Linda. You won't be disappointed. I originally bought the floral to make a pencil skirt. Funny how plans change when the fabric sits in the stash for a while.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty Easter dress and it looks so fresh.

    If you really wanted to I'd pin in two small darts and even baste in to see if they make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you lovely comment Sharon. It's definitely an eye catching print. Great idea to baste the darts in to see if they work.

      Delete
  7. Love the fabrics you've used for this. Try basting the darts as suggested otherwise just wear it and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Manju. This one might have to wait for Spring before it gets any wear though.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE the print! Gorgeous colours and the splishy watercoloury pattern sings! I think your dress looks fabulous with short sleeves....a happy accident I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " a happy accident" I love that, Sue. Thanks for the great comment.

      Delete
  9. The colors are so pretty! I really didn't notice the fit as being a problem but I am sure you can judge by the way it feels. You could always pin out some darts to see if you like them. I often make these sorts of tweaks after wearing something for a while - even little adjustments can make a garment more enjoyable to wear. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. I appreciate your thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  10. I think it looks great - can't really see the fit issues in the picture. I love your colours and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much BeaJay. Hopefully the bright colours will camouflage the lack of drape in the front.

      Delete
  11. Perfect spring dress! Hopefully you can tweak it til you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of Autumn (Fall) here, and Spring is a long time away.

      Delete
  12. I think this will be a perfect dress when we next see spring :)! As to the fit issues, I would relax on them, it looks really quite elegant the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue. You do wonders for my confidence.

      Delete
  13. I actually like the short sleeves better -- especially with your colors and print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are absolutely right Cissie. The colours are much more suited to Spring or Summer wear.

      Delete
  14. Your dress is really pretty. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a 'happy' dress! Perfect for spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. This dress will probably be confined to the wardrobe until some warm weather returns next Spring.

      Delete
  16. That is one gorgeous scuba knit and the dress looks lovely on you.Very "Easter", IMO. I can't help thinking how a French dart at the front would give it just the right shaping but its too late for that now so I agree that front darts would help. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice Diana and your kind comment.

      Delete
  17. A perfect Easter dress. What beautiful colours, and another StyleArc triumph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are very bright. I seem to be drawn to bright colours like a moth to a flame. Thanks for your lovely comment Sue...and yes I'm loving the Style Arc patterns.

      Delete