This pattern ticked a lot of boxes for me: great wardrobe staple; uses knit fabric; and is quick and easy to sew. I have been admiring lots of Mabel's around the blogsphere for ages, so I don't know why it has taken me so long to give it a try.
This is actually the second Mabel I have made. The first one made a brief appearance during Me Made May.
I made Version 3 with the decorative seaming and kick pleat. My first skirt was made using black ponte purchased from Style Arc. This fabric was a high quality ponte with a nice amount of stretch and excellent recovery, and best of all... no pilling. The fit of this skirt is a little snug around my backside and I will only wear it with a long cardigan.
For my second skirt I used a navy ponte purchased from Spotlight. This is also a high quality ponte but is less elastic than the black ponte from Style Arc. I made a larger size to get the looser fit I was after. It actually turned out too big this time and I had to run the side seams in.
After looking at these photos, I think I should have just made the smaller size, as the fit is a little looser than what I was trying to achieve. I actually had to add some elastic to the waist to make it feel more secure after a few wears. It felt like it might fall down. (The smaller one in the black is fine without the elastic though).
You can see the decorative seaming on the front in the photo above. I top stitched the seam allowance down with a twin needle to highlight the design feature.
The hem was hand stitched for a nicer finish (although it is still quite noticeable in the photo's). I did construct the kick pleat a little differently from the instructions. You are supposed to sew the centre back seam and continue around the pleat, sewing it closed. You then fold it to the side, press and top stitch to hold in place. I had read on several blogs that after sitting in the skirt the pleat refused to hang properly. I sewed the centre back seam stopping at the start of the pleat. I overlocked the raw edges of the pleat sections, folded to one side, and top stitched in place across the top, leaving the pleat open. This has worked out well and as you can see in the photo above, the pleat is hanging just fine and I have been sitting in this skirt all day at work before these photos were taken.
You can expect to see a few more Mabels popping up here in the future. I have already earmarked some fabric in the stash.