The Style Arc Hedy Designer Dress caught my eye the minute it was released, but it wasn't until I saw Lara's version that I was prompted to purchase the pattern. Soon after, I had an unexpected trip to Spotlight during a work trip and purchased this gorgeous Geo Space Dye Jersey in this lovely colour called Rasberry. It's a 50% cotton, 47% polyester and 3% spandex blend and is quite a beefy weight for a jersey.
|Style Arc Hedy Designer Dress|
From the Style Arc website: "Hedy is a simple, unstructured shaped dress that has cleverly constructed design lines. The asymmetrical neck pleat drapes to the side seam and creates the hidden pockets and the fabulous cocoon shape.
The Hedy pattern comes in 2 lengths - a knee-length dress & mid-calf length dress with side splits."
I cut the knee length version in a size 12 without any alteration. I was concerned that the neckline may have been too high at the front but I needn't have worried as it turned out just right.
The pockets are awesome and are cleverly hidden in the seam lines of the dress. I did have to do a bit of unpicking here as I sewed them in back to front on my first attempt. The instructions include several diagrams that are very helpful in the construction of the dress...if you study them properly the first time. Fusible interfacing is added to the pocket edges and provides the necessary stability in this area, essential in a knit fabric.
I love the cocoon shape of the dress. Not only is it right on trend at the moment, it is also super comfortable and leaves plenty of room for a big lunch.
Most of the construction was done on the overlocker. I chose to finish the neckline off with a facing as it was quite bulky with the neckline pleats and I thought it would be easier than attempting a binding. I am happy with the result and to stop the facing from flipping out I hand stitched it to the various seam allowances around the neckline.
Here's a closer shot of the neckline facing that also shows the fabric in more detail. The fabric was the same on the right and wrong sides, so I had to be super careful that I didn't get them mixed up.
The neckline pleats are an interesting feature, with the seam lines continuing down to the side seams. Creating the pleats was a bit of a head scratching moment for me. I had to read and reread the instructions several times, as well as studying the diagrams and trying several different ways of folding the fabric. Then I had a "light bulb moment" and it became clear. I think I was trying to make it harder than it was.
Here is a better shot of the dress without the accessories. Notice the shoulder seams are towards the front and not directly on the shoulder line...another interesting feature.
With arms outstretched you can see the shape of the dress. As you have probably gathered with this picture heavy post, that I love my new dress. I sewed it up over two week night evenings, finishing it just in time to wear to my sister's surprise 50th Birthday lunch. On completion, I tried it on and asked my hubby's opinion. He's not a fan of "sack dresses" and this one fell into that category. On the morning of my sister's birthday I decided to wear my new dress despite my husband's misgivings. His comment was "you're not wearing that, are you".
I'm so glad I did wear it, as it was comfortable in the car for our three hour drive, it allowed plenty of room for a delicious lunch, and I received several lovely compliments.