Sunday 28 August 2016

Jasper Sweater Dress from Paprika Patterns

I have been a very lazy blogger lately. This always seems to happen over winter...the days are shorter...it's difficult to take decent blog photos and I fall out of the habit of documenting everything I sew. The good news is that I haven't stopped sewing or reading all your wonderful sewing blogs.

Paprika Patterns Jasper Sweater Dress

After admiring the Paprika Patterns Jasper Sweater Dress for quite a while, I have now made up my own version. Fabric used is a Velour Polar Fleece from Knitwit in burgundy. This fabric was ideal for this pattern, having enough body to support the collar and has resulted in a very cosy and comfortable dress.

Paprika Patterns Sweater/dress

I love all the design details that make this sweater/dress a little different from the usual boxy styles. The princess seams give a lovely shape to the dress and the stand up collar with tab, and the welt pockets are great details.

Stand up collar and buttoned tab

I had to add a seam to the top edge of the collar (this should have been a folded edge) due to a shortage of fabric. This actually added some extra body to the collar and helps give it the required structure to stand nicely without collapsing. Sort of a happy accident really.

Welt pocket detail

This was my first attempt at welt pockets ever, and it was a little daunting in the bulky polar fleece. They are not perfect but I was quite happy with how they turned out. Definitely something I will try again one day.


I cut a size 6 based on the measurement chart and I made it up without any alterations. It is quite short and I wouldn't wear this without tights or leggings...I am 5' 7" tall.


This has been a fun casual dress which was perfect to take on our recent holiday to Western Australia. All the photos were taken in the grounds of the Leeuwin Estate Winery in the Margaret River Region, after we had lunch in their lovely restaurant and sampled some fabulous wines.

21 comments:

  1. It looks like a very cosy dress which I bet you needed in our chilly South-West. I love the colour, too. One of the nicest versions of that pattern that I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect for the chilly weather we had during our visit. Thanks for your lovely comment Kathy.

      Delete
  2. It looks lovely and cosy - I have wondered myself about making a polar fleece dress. Yours looks very smart as well as casual, so I may need to add a polar fleece dress on my to make list as well. I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recommend polar fleece for a cosy dress Sarah Liz. We did enjoy our holiday thank you.

      Delete
  3. I've been very lazy on the blogging front too for much the same reasons. Good to read about your positive experiences with this pattern. I've enjoyed wearing mine and have worn it a lot. Thanks for reminding me of the existence of Knitwit too. They seem to have some very nice fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only lazy blogger out there Paola. I think it was your version that finally pushed me to buy this pattern and I am very happy that I did. I would love to make the sweater version too. Knitwit have quite a good range of knits and they ship free for orders over $100 which is a great saving. Lovely service too.

      Delete
  4. What a stunning version. I love the red, and the setting is lovely. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our lovely State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. We did enjoy our visit despite the cold and wet weather. It was a shame we couldn't meet up...maybe next time.

      Delete
  5. Love your pretty dress! The colour suits you beautifully. Nice work on the welt pocket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. The welt pocket is a new skill for me.

      Delete
  6. I love this, it looks so warm, yet smart. What a great use of the polarfleece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. The polar fleece was a great choice for this pattern.

      Delete
  7. Polar fleece would be lovely in that pattern. I made 2 of the sweater and have worn one to death (other one was not such a good fabric choice)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Fabric choice can certainly make or break a garment. I want to make the sweater now too.

      Delete
  8. Great neckline - much more interesting. Your welt pockets look absolutely fine and good idea to try them for the first time in a slightly stretchy fabric. Great colour too. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dress - looks so comfy and cozy. And the colour ! A dress to beat the winter blues. Great pattern and yes there are so many wonderful versions on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so comfortable and warm and it looks great onyou.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your version. I recently bought this pattern. Taped it all together only to discover I am out of tracing paper! Seeing yours, I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete