Monday 12 June 2017

Grainline Studio Archer #3...The Floral Version

I finally completed my 3rd Grainline Studio Archer Button Up Shirt towards the end of May. You may have seen it in action during Me Made May.


I started this shirt back in April, but my husband had an accident while out on a mountain bike ride, fracturing his pelvis. He spent four days in hospital and then required a lot of help at home to do just about everything. Needless to say, my sewing had to be put on the back burner for a few weeks. Glad to say he has recovered well and is now back at work.


I made this version with the same adjustments as I made for my 2nd version. This time I avoided using a poly cotton blend, and chose this pretty Japanese Lawn (Cluster Floral Pink) 100% cotton, from Spotlight.


I'm wearing it here with my Style Arc Elle Pants in Denim look stretch bengaline, also from Style Arc. The cotton lawn was a dream to sew and pressed beautifully. I didn't have any of the issues I had with my second version.



It was really hard to photograph this pretty fabric as the light is so harsh at this time of the year. I'm really happy with the shape and fit of the shirt.


Instead of buttons, I used these pretty pink snaps that I had in my stash. They were such a good match and I love how they turned out. I only had nine of them, and I needed 8, 6 for the front and 1 for each cuff. I managed to wreck the first one by trying to install it upside down, so the pressure was on to not make anymore mistakes.


All the top stitching was done in white thread. I did add a little extra width to the side seams and arm seams, when cutting out, so that I could do proper flat felled seams.


I love how flat felling makes the inside look as neat as the outside. It's well worth the effort even if it is a bit fiddly sewing down the length of the sleeve.


I found it works out fine if you take it slowly and let the fabric bunch up behind the foot as you go along. I'm really happy with how this Archer turned out and I have worn it a few times already. All the photos were taken by my husband down at our local beach.


 While I was scrolling through Facebook the other day, I stumbled upon a funny coincidence. This add popped up for a new movie "The Shack" and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the actress was wearing my shirt. I'm sure it is the same fabric. 


Happy Sewing

Jean

20 comments:

  1. So pretty -- and I'm sure that *is* the same shirt!! Although yours is probably much more well finished :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Melwyk and you are probably right.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty shirt. Definitely the same print! I enjoy doing flat felled seams, they give you a good reward for the effort involved. Glad to hear your husband and photographer is back on deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola. There is something so satisfying about sewing flat felled seams. I still get that smug feeling of satisfaction every time I iron my husbands 'me made' shirts.

      Delete
  3. Lovely shirt and the print definitely looks the same. Pleased to hear your husband has recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. It was a timely coincidence to stumble across that photo and it's nice to know that someone else thought that print would make a lovely button up shirt.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work, as usual. Good to hear your husband is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shirt! I'm sorry to hear about your husband's accident, but glad to hear that he has recovered and is doing well. I need to try making flat felled seams- yours look great! Love the movie poster too- hadn't heard of that one, and will now have to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann. Flat felled seams are so worth the effort and are not hard to sew. I haven't seen the movie either, but I have heard it has good reviews.

      Delete
  6. Excellent, as always! I can't wait to see what you've sewn when I discover you've posted a new blog post. So glad to know your husband recovered well. What a scare that must have been! Loved the book, "The Shack", though rarely see movies I've thought about seeing that one. How cool the actress wore a shirt like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nursebennett for your lovely comment. You have made my day.

      Delete
  7. Never see The Shack, it is the WORST MOVIE EVER! The only good thing about it is that she copied your shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch a fractured pelvis. I am glad too that he is doing well. Yes it does look the same fabric. I am a huge fan of button front shirts. I started reading The Shack for book group ( I assume it is the same ) but found the subject matter a bit too much for me and stopped reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, hubby is back to work fulltime this week. I love a button up shirt too and I must make a few more. I haven't seen the movie or read the book, so I can't really comment on it.

      Delete
  9. So glad your husband is better! Love your shirt!! Even at a glance one can easily see how well-made it is. So cool the actress is wearing 'your' shirt!! Lovely beach photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa. I have worn it several times already.

      Delete
  10. xo slot เป็นเว็บคาสิโนออนไลน์ที่ดีเยี่ยมที่สุด ชั้น 1 ของไทยแล้วก็ทวีปเอเชียโดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งสล็อตออนไลน์ เล่นในเวลานี้รวมทั้งรับรางวัลแจ็คพอต ฝาก-ถอน เร็วชั้น 1 ของไทย

    ReplyDelete
  11. slot xo that is fun, easy to play, every game, pg bonuses are easy to break, the most frequent, is a direct website, can be played via mobile phones from anywhere, anytime. Apply for membership with a quick time to play

    ReplyDelete