Sunday 20 August 2017

Style Arc Alissa Knit Dress for "Artwear August"

Style Arc Alissa Knit Dress
This was my August MAGAM (make a garment a month) which is a sewing challenge over on Instagram, hosted by @sarahlizsewstyle. This month's theme was "Artwear August". I procrastinated for over a week trying to come up with something arty, but then I realised the Style Arc Alissa Knit Dress had a bit of an "arty" vibe with that unusual draped pocket, and I had purchased the pattern in their recent sale and had the perfect fabric in my stash.

My sewing plan posted on Instagram.
The fabric is a double knit purchased from Spotlight recently in an olive and cream polka dot pattern. I love that the polka dots are a little bit random in size and placement, also adding to the "arty" vibe.


Despite looking a little difficult, this was actually quite an easy garment to construct. Style Arc include an excellent diagram in the instructions which really was very helpful. I don't think I had any head scratching moments during the construction of this dress.


The back of the dress dips down slightly, as you can see in the photo above. I constructed most of this dress on the overlocker. Only using my sewing machine for the neckline binding and the front seam that joins the bodice to the draped skirt (as this was a most unusual shape, incorporating the clever pocket design). I sewed the sleeves in flat and they went in so easily...no easing required at all.


The back is very simple, with just a centre back seam with some shaping. There are no closures required as this dress slips easily over your head. I made my usual size 12 with no alterations. All the hems were sewn with my coverstitch.


The pocket drape construction is so clever and so easy to achieve. The only change I made was to tack the pocket drape to the seam allowance before sewing the side seams. It was then securely caught in the side seam. The instructions say to "sew a small stitch to connect the folded edge of the pocket to the right side seam" after the side seam is sewn.


This was an easy dress to sew and it is an easy dress to wear. The fabric is easy care and it will fit into my wardrobe beautifully. Love it!

Happy Sewing

Jean.

23 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely great on you. Have ordered the pattern myself, and waiting for it to arrive in Belgium (Northern hemisphere). Would you recommend sewing in "shaping darts" in the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Margo. The centre back seam does have some shaping. If you wanted more shaping I can't see any reason why you couldn't add vertical darts as well. I do think the dress is designed to be fairly loose fitting. Hope your Alissa dress turns out well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply Jean. Happy sewing (& bush walking)!

      Delete
  2. OOOO - love this! perfect pattern and fabric, and it looks beautiful on you. thks for the tip on catching the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Coco. Thank you. I think catching the pocket in the side seam is a more secure solution, than the instructed method.

      Delete
  3. Looks so good on you! I, too, have this pattern--having trouble finding time to cut and sew it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. This is actually a quick and easy dress to sew. Sometimes it can be difficult to get started. I am a terrible procrastinator at times.

      Delete
  4. That's a really lovely dress. Not too loose but with a good shape. I really like your fabric choice and it works well with the drapey pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janine. I like the subtle shape in the dress too. This double knit had just the right amount of drape.

      Delete
  5. Love this dress and it IS "arty" :) I've just ordered a BUNCH of patterns from StyleArc via their recent sale but this one wasn't in the mix and now I'm sorry it wasn't! Love this styling of this dress. It reminds me a tiny bit of the Pia dress by Tessuti that I just finished. Love that pattern too by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I tend to want all the patterns too, and it's hard to just choose a few. This dress worked out well for "Artwear August". I have admired several Tessuti patterns but have yet to try one.

      Delete
  6. What a cool dress! Your fabric choice really makes this one I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I bought this fabric, not knowing what I was going to make, but it worked out a great choice for this pattern.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous dress and love the fabric I might need to visit Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Spotlight had this fabric in three colours when I bought this piece...olive, dark blue and a deep pink. It is a lovely quality, doesn't crease and has a nice drape too.

      Delete
  8. Where did my comment vanish to? I think I wrote that I really like this fabric, the colour is gorgeous. The pattern is very interesting too, I love the pocket and style lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Funny how comments can disappear into cyber space. I've had that happen too. I'm really happy with how this dress turned out and it's so comfortable to wear.

      Delete
  9. Love this style on you. Looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth. I feel good wearing this dress too.

      Delete
  10. This is such a cool dress! Great pocket feature and lovely fabric choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa. I have been wearing this dress a lot.

      Delete
  11. Shop Baby Boy’s Clothing & Apparel at Dayoo. All new season styles and colors are available in online now. baby boy clothes from our one-stop shop today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    មាន់ជល់តាមអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete