Thursday 19 February 2015

Knit Scout for Camping Weekend

I have some knit fabrics languishing in my stash that really need to be made up into comfy T-Shirts. Inspiration struck when I saw what Christy had made, using the Grainline Studio Scout Woven Tee pattern. This pattern is designed for woven fabrics but works equally well in knit fabrics. I needed a nice comfy T-shirt for our Valentine's Day Camping Weekend.

Roast lamb cooking in the camp oven for our Valentine's Day dinner.

This is my sixth Scout Tee, but the first time I have used a knit. I have previously tweaked the fit to suit my figure and you can read about the changes I made here.To compensate for the extra stretch, I sewed the seams at 5/8" instead of 1/2" as the pattern instructs. The only other change I made was to lower the neckline at the centre front by 5cm.

Scout Tee in a knit with neckline lowered.
The fabric is some sort of cotton jersey with no spandex. It was quite stable with a slight stretch and not very good recovery. I used a scrap of cotton/lycra jersey to bind the neckline. I turned this completely to the inside and secured with twin needle stitching. All other hems were stitched with a twin needle. I like the rtw finish this gives as it looks similar to a cover stitch on the right side. 

I love the loose fit that hides all the lumps and bumps.
This T-shirt was very comfortable to wear and I don't know why it has taken me this long to try it in a knit. I can see myself making a few more of these. I might tweak the shape of the neckline and cut it a bit wider for the next one.

Deua River
We had  a lovely camping weekend on the banks of the Deua River. Despite some rain, we also had beautiful sunshine and warm temperatures and went swimming in the river a couple of times. The water was freezing, but very refreshing.

The view from our camp kitchen.

Deua River in the morning sunshine.
After having a break from sewing over the weekend I am keen to get back into my sewing room. I have quite a few projects lined up.

Happy sewing

12 comments:

  1. How good is the Scout! And how amazing is that campsite! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree, the Scout is a TNT pattern for me and our campsite was pretty special.

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of the Scout tee, but don't think I've done it in a knit. I might just have to make one (or three). Your campsite looks amazing. Impressive that you had a swim in freezing water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend trying the Scout in a knit. I love the relaxed fit. Our swims were quite refreshing as the weather was quite warm and humid.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely spot! The scout tee made up beautifully in a knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I think I will be making some more of these.

      Delete
  4. Bliss!!! Are there trout? That's from DH, we may never have seen any, but somehow the possibility of them was enough to make a camp site perfect ;) Fab Scout as well, but the campsite, *sigh of happiness*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MaciNic. Don't think there are trout here, but my son informed it it is a good place for Bass fishing. We encountered plenty of other wildlife here though, including a goanna, some wallabies, plenty of birdlife and I had a surprising encounter with a red bellied black snake.

      Delete
  5. I'm so pleased you posted this as I've been toying with the idea of making my StyleArc Tammy knit dress pattern with a woven fabric, but I'm not sure if it will work. This gives me hope that it would. What an idyllic campsite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. You would probably just need to add a bit to your seam allowances to compensate for lack of stretch. Our campsite was ideal and we had a fun weekend.

      Delete
  6. A great fit on your top! And what a beautiful place to get to wear it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. I think I will be making a few more knit scouts as they are so comfortable and easy to wear.

      Delete