Wednesday 25 February 2015

The Skirt Experiment (aka Simplicity 2451)

I have been deliberating about whether to do a post about these skirts for quite a few weeks. However, this blog is about documenting my sewing journey and that includes everything, not just the things I am really happy with. I'm sure we all have those disappointing moments when things don't work out quite as we had planned.

I have had Simplicity 2451 in my pattern stash for a while now, purchased from Pattern Review during one of their great pattern sales.

 There are 74 reviews of this pattern on Pattern Review and it has been quite popular, so I had high hopes.

Simplicity 2451 View B
My mother had given me this beige fabric (of unknown composition - probably some sort of synthetic with a nice drape) that she had originally purchased to make a pair of pants. It had been stored for several years and had a few areas damaged by mildew, but I was able to cut the skirt out without using the damaged areas of fabric. I traced off a size 14 and graded the waist up to a size 16. This is where I went wrong. The waist is actually a bit roomy and doesn't hold any tummy bulge in, yet the fit is too tight in the hips, causing some unsightly wrinkling.


The fit across my behind is way too tight for my liking revealing the lines of my underwear. I used an invisible zip instead of a lapped zip as the pattern instructs and I do like the curved yoke in place of an actual waistband. I skipped the decorative side tabs as I always intended to wear this skirt with a longer top, so they would never be seen.


I also like the flared shape of the skirt. It feels quite swishy. After taking these photos I unpicked the side seams and made a bit more room across the hips.


I also made view C with the same pattern alterations.

Simplicity 2451 with Maria Denmark blouse
This style fitted much better through the hips but was a bit loose at the waist.

Simplicity 2451 View C
I purchased this fabric from the discounted shelf at my local Bargain Box fabrics for $5.00 a metre. It is a fairly loosely woven cotton that unfortunately bags out in the seat after a few hours of sitting.

Pockets and pleats almost invisible in this print.
Although it is very difficult to see in this print, I stitched the pleats down for approximately 3 cm so they didn't cause too much poofiness. I have enough natural poofiness in this area.

Back of View C
Again, I used an invisible zip and there is a vent in the back as well, which makes it comfortable and practical.

Although I have been a little disappointed in both these skirts, I have learned quite a bit, and I would like to try making this pattern again. I just need to remember that the waistline in this skirt is quite generous and does not need grading up. Also, View B is very fitted in the hips/upper thigh area and I may need to add some width here. Fabric choice also has a significant effect on the resulting fit and loosely woven fabrics are not suitable for fitted skirts. Now, onto some more successful sewing.


Happy Sewing

16 comments:

  1. Oh shame. Each of these skirts look good in the photos, but I know how you feel, if you're not comfortable in something, then you will never wear it. I love the back of the gored skirt, and the black and white fabric is really nice. I think, with the right fabric, these will be stunning skirts. I look forward to seeing the next iterations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Sue. It's funny how photos don't lie and I was a little shocked at how tight the beige skirt looked in the photos. I am keen to try these skirts again with a few adjustments.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your honest review. I have experienced a few missed too. I just haven't posted any lately. Your analysis is helpful. Good luck with the next skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cennetta. It is always helpful to analyse what went wrong, so improvements can be made for next time.

      Delete
  3. Aw hopefully the next project will be a real winner. I like both skirts but as soon as I saw the back pic of the beige skirt, I thought, "she's not going to be happy with it that fitted!" :)

    They are cute though so perhaps they will grow on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nakisha. I was quite shocked when I saw the photos of the beige skirt...and I definitely didn't like the fit.

      Delete
  4. Shame as both look lovely. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeaJay. At least I know what to change for the next time.

      Delete
  5. Jean, thanks for posting, especially since I have that first pattern. Even though I have made a couple I like, I dread making skirts. I don't mind dresses because in general the ones I make hang from the shoulders, but when something has to hang from my (non-existent) waist.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. Both the skirts are from the same Simplicity pattern...just different views. I always have to make adjustments for my thick waistline.

      Delete
  6. Your skirts look wearable and it still surprises me how much fabric has to do with fit. One thing to help with the bagging is to line the skirt, another layer/step but it does make a big difference is the wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that great tip Sharon. I will definitely try a lining in my next one.

      Delete
  7. Jean, I've made this skirt with less-than-thrilling results, too. I felt like maybe I wasn't getting the proportions just right. http://asewinglife.blogspot.com/2014/05/more-sewing-for-victory-dubarry-5265.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia. I have just had a look at your version and I think it looks fine. The fit is lovely across your hips and it hangs nicely. But I guess you have got to feel comfortable wearing it.

      Delete
  8. They look good in the pictures but there is nothing words than a skirt waistband that walks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Andrea. I won't be grading the waist line up for the next one, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete