Saturday 15 July 2017

A Modified Coco Dress for July's MAGAM

July's theme for MAGAM (make a garment a month) is Seasonal Stashbuster. I outlined my plans on IG earlier in the month: 



"I am planning to sew this lovely tartan double knit from my stash into a winter dress, loosely based on the Tilly and the Buttons Coco Dress. I will reduce the flare of the skirt, add vertical darts at the back, add a bias cut split lapped collar and bias cut patch pockets. Hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head." Well, here is the completed dress:


It has turned out just as I imagined, apart from the lack of plaid matching of the sleeves to the body of the dress...woops. I somehow forgot this detail at the cutting out stage. At least the sleeves match each other. I did all the cutting out in a single layer so I could line up the stripes. The tartan double knit (from Spotlight) had only been in my stash for a few weeks and I was originally planning to make a casual winter top, but after washing it I felt it was more suited to a dress, and this is the eighth time I have made up the Coco dress/top pattern so I have certainly got my money's worth.


I did match the plaid at the side seams, but failed to get a good photo showing this. The bias cut pockets are exact mirror images of each other and I was very happy with this detail.


The vertical darts created a nice fit through the back. I completely fluked the position of the plaid at the centre back of the collar, but love how it is nicely balanced. All the hems were hand stitched so they remained invisible.

Bias cut split lapped collar


I just love the bias cut split lapped collar. It gives the dress a bit of a retro vibe. I wish I had added some interfacing to the collar because it has turned out a little floppy in this double knit, so I will have to remember that for next time.


This will be a nice comfy work dress and I think it will get loads of wear.

Happy Sewing

Jean




26 comments:

  1. What a lovely smart dress. I have admired this ponte at Spotlight, so it is nice to see it made up. I did not notice the sleeve issue at all - with the pockets being such a feature, along with the collar, the eye is drawn to the front of the dress. It's gorgeous, and this style really does suit you. Looking forward to seeing version 9 one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah Liz for your lovely comment. I do feel comfortable wearing this style. I guess that is why I keep coming back to it.

      Delete
  2. That is one fabulous dress. So flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Linda. I'm all for wearing flattering garments. I'm slowly working out what suits me and what to avoid.

      Delete
  3. This is a killer dress- love it in plaid! The collar is quite cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. It turned out just as I had imagined it would. The collar is my new favourite thing.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the bias pockets and collar. Eight times for one pattern- that is a strong recommendation! I may have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have made some alterations to the original pattern, I do recommend it. Thanks for your lovely comment Ann.

      Delete
  5. It's brilliant! I love the collar. I've added this dress to my fall sewing list...we're at the height of summer...as I agree this dress would be perfect for work with tights and boots in late fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shari. Hope your version is a success for you too.

      Delete
  6. This is stunning! What a brilliant design. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Let's Get Sewing. I love how my plans for this dress worked out so well.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, thats lovely! The pockets and collar add a lot to the garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki. The Coco dress is so easy to customise.

      Delete
  8. Very stylish dress and as Vicki said the pockets and collar are perfect. It is only us sewers who patten match, you will pay top dollar for an unmatched garment in RTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I guess it's only us sewers who pay attention to pattern matching. I do cringe when I see what RTW seem to get away with sometimes.

      Delete
  9. الكثير من الخدمات الان من مركز صيانة ويرلبول من سيارات الصيانة المجهزة باحدث التقنيات فقط زور موقعنا الالكترونى وتعرف على افضل خدمات توكيل ويرلبول للاجهزة المنزلية من خلال اتصالك على رقم صيانة ويرلبول وتمتع بالعديد من الخدمات

    ReplyDelete
  10. العديد من التقنيات الحديثة فى مكافحة حشرات بمكة للتخلص نهائيا من جميع انواع الحشرات والتاكد من عدم ظهورها مرة اخرى فقط عند تواصلك مع شركة رش مبيدات بمكة زور موقعنا الان لتحصل على العديد من الخدمات المتميزة

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely dress. I really like the lapped collar. I hope you don't mind if I try to copy it some time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. Go right ahead and make one for yourself. I'm sure you will love it.

      Delete
  12. You did a great job and it really suits you. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I have inspired you Nieves. Thanks for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous! You look fantastic!! All your attention to detail really paid off in such a gorgeous dress with a perfect fit. Love it! :) P.S. I thought the sleeves looked great and those pockets and sweet collar are the 'stars'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa, your lovely comment is appreciated very much. Thank you!

      Delete