Friday 21 July 2017

Style Arc Salma Wrap (or is it the Shirley Shrug?)


The Style Arc Salma Wrap was sent to me by Style Arc, a few years ago, as a gift, for sending on an order that I received in error. I really can't complain about their customer service as I have only had positive experiences, even when things have gone wrong.



I can't find the Salma Wrap on their website now, but there is the Shirley Shrug which appears to be identical to the Salma Wrap. They must have given it an update.


I was trawling through my patterns looking for something suitable for this lovely blue/black textured silk/cotton knit I bought from Knitwit last year when I was in Perth. It is the same fabric I used in my Adeline Dress only in a different colour. When I came across this pattern, I thought it would be ideal. The knit is low stretch, but has a lovely drape and it has worked out well for this pattern.


The Salma Wrap (Shirley Shrug) has quite generous proportions and will work well as an extra layer over many outfits. Here I am wearing it over my Style Arc Wallis Pants, and a Black Merino Deer and Doe Plantain Tee (tunic length), but it would work just as well over a dress.


It is a very simple pattern...only one pattern piece, of which you cut one pair. The two pieces are joined with a long seam horizontally across the back. I pressed this seam open and top stitched the seam allowances down to create a nice neat finish. The side seams were sewn the same way. All the hems were turned twice, using Bond a Web to stabilise them before top stitching.


This was a very quick and satisfying project, and I'm glad to have this fabric out of my stash and into my wardrobe.

Happy sewing

Jean.

10 comments:

  1. It's a very interesting design - most shrugs fall off, but with the armholes in this, that would not happen. I think this is going to be one of those garments that will be very handy for all sorts of wearing occasions. And being silk and cotton, just right for Spring which will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The design is quite simple, but very clever, Sarah Liz, and I think it will be a handy garment to have in my wardrobe. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Cute, cute, cute! I may have to try one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Yes, you should try one. It's so easy to make.

      Delete
  3. I've got a fair bit of this exact fabric in my stash (different colours) so I can just imagine how this feels and drapes. I adore this wrap/shrug and it will be useful trans-seasonally too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I have another piece of this fabric too, in a plum colour.

      Delete
  4. This looks like it must be such fun to wear! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. It should be a handy addition to my wardrobe.

      Delete