I had a long narrow strip of the lovely mosaic print scuba knit that I used for my Style Arc Fay Skirt left over in my stash. It was too good to throw away, but not big enough for an entire garment. This is what I came up with:
I used the Style Arc Kristen Dress pattern which I have made once before here. It's such a simple design...a blank canvas.
I redrew the front pattern piece, adding a 20cm wide strip down the centre and two side front pieces. I also substituted the crew neckline with the Cowl neckline from the Sewaholic Renfrew Top.
The fabrics I used with the scuba knit are a navy and an off white ponte. All fabrics were purchased from Spotlight last year. The zip was eliminated as it is completely unnecessary in a knit and I also left off the pockets.
I did add some long fisheye darts in the back after trying it on. The fit was a little too "sack like" without them.
I am quite happy with the fit now, still relaxed but with a little shape. I'm not sure if I like the cowl in off white. I am wondering if it would have looked better in the navy. Hopefully it will grow on me because I really don't feel like unpicking it, and I have just enough navy ponte left over to make a skirt, so I don't want to waste it cutting another cowl.
You can see the lovely print in the close up photo. I also top stitched the joining seams between the panels with a twin needle. All the hems were turned up 2.5 cms and topstitched with the twin needle as well.
This was a nice and easy dress to make and it's very comfortable to wear too.