I made this version specially to go with my floral Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket. This jacket has been a bit of an orphan in my wardrobe and was in desperate need of some matching garments to pair it with. When I saw this khaki butter suede during a visit to Spotlight last year, I knew it would be a great match. I don't know why it has taken me this long to sew it up.
This time I made a straight size 16. I did lengthen it considerably from the original pattern. I was a little concerned during construction, that it may be a bit lightweight for this skirt. I didn't shave any off the side seams (like I did in my previous version) because I wanted it to be a looser fit so that it would hang nicely. But I think it has turned out OK.
The fabric has an interesting texture and a definite nap. Similar to velvet, but much lighter weight. I did struggle a bit with static electricity while wearing this skirt, even after spraying it with anti static spray. Hopefully this was due to the dry and windy weather we had been having.
I am a little disappointed with my invisible zip insertion. I only had a black zip on hand and it is not very invisible. Too impatient to wait a few days to get a more appropriate colour. At least my jacket covers most of it. I hand stitched the hem for a neater finish but this was quite tedious and difficult to keep the stitches invisible on the fabric. Still, I think it looks better than a top stitched hem on this skirt.
My first outing in my new skirt was last Sunday...the most perfect Autumn day. The weather was absolutely beautiful. I met up with a girlfriend for lunch and we then went for a walk along the boardwalk around Wagonga Inlet at Narooma. I wore my new skirt with my Scout Woven Tee in cream spun rayon and my floral denim Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket. Hopefully I will get some more wear out of my Jacket now it has a matching skirt.